B.Sc. Medical Lab Technology
B.Sc. Medical Lab Technology
B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory Technology is an undergraduate Medical program. Medical Laboratory Technology program is an allied health profession that is concerned with the treatment, diagnosis and prevention of disease through the use of clinical laboratory tests. During the program these tests help candidates to learn and diagnose, detect and treat diseases. Additionally the program deals with the collecting of information's sampling, reporting, testing and documentation. Though the Medical Lab technologists spend less time with patients than doctors and nurses, medical laboratory professionals are just as dedicated to the patient's health.
This course aims to provide the students an in-depth understanding and training in chemical and medical sciences. After completion of this course student may pursue career in research by undergoing higher studies, teaching, laboratory work, hospitals or pharmaceutical industry.
- The course of study enhances students’ knowledge and skills in several major categorical areas of Medical laboratory technology.
- Pass out students of the program will use their breadth and depth of knowledge and skills in the lab technology to pursue successful professional careers.
- The degree in MLT provides advanced skills to laboratory professional in health administration, leadership, quality assurance and health informatics.
- Medical Laboratory Technology science helps to diagnose, treat and prevention of diseases through clinical laboratory tests. It is complementary to medical science.
- It involves analysis of body matter such as fluid, tissue, and blood. It also covers micro-organism screening, chemical analyses, and cell count.
- As vital members of the health care team, medical laboratory professionals play a critical role in collecting the information needed to give the best care to an ill or injured patient.
Semester Wise Subjects
On successful completion of the course students can take up attractive job positions in sophisticated laboratories and hospitals in India and abroad. They can take up jobs like medical scientific assistants, laboratory technologist, scientific officer etc. They also can avail jobs in academic field as lecturers and instructors.
There are plenty of career pathways which a student can opt after completion of the course.
- Chemical Industry
- Defense sector
- Pharmaceutical labs
- Self-Pathology labs
- Forensic Crime Research
- Research Firms
- Testing Laboratories
- Wastewater Plants
Employers who recruit candidates from diploma in medical lab technology discipline are tabulated below:
- AIIMS (all branches)
- PGIMER- Chandigarh
- Government hospitals
- Apollo hospital
- Max hospital
- Fortis hospital
Medical lab technology is one of the most vital parts of the healthcare system and therefore, the salary paid to the MLT’s is good. Most of the job opportunities in the field of medical lab technology depend upon the technical and academic skills of the technician or technologist. After the completion of the graduation or post-graduation, they can join any medical laboratory as a certified medical laboratory technologist and earn experience in their specialisations. The rise in a number of private hospitals, nursing homes, biochemical laboratories, pharmaceutical companies, pathological laboratories, and many more medical facilities has helped in increasing demand for a medical laboratory technologist. With sufficient experience, the medical laboratory technicians can occupy supervisory positions in laboratories and hospitals as Laboratory Manager, Hospital Outreach Coordinators, Laboratory Information System Analyst, Consultant, Health Care Administrator and Educational Consultant. The medical laboratory technologist can expect an average annual salary of upto Rs 6 LPA depending upon their expertise and experience in the field as a medical technologist